Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Update

Thanks to Heather for your comment the other day, which gave me a bit of a kick in the pants. I should get back to blogging and let everyone know what's going on in Gaijin Housewife Land.

Quite a lot actually.

1) I started a "low information diet". I stayed off the internet except for email and FB with friends, stayed away from news and have been very happy in my own little world for the last 8 months or so. When something big in the world happens that I should know about, DH tells me. I feel my stress levels are much lower when I limit the amount of technology in my daily life.

2) We found out we are going to be welcoming a new family member. About the time I gave up writing this blog, I found out I was pregnant again which was amazing since some long term readers will remember the trauma of being TTC the first time around. I contribute this time's success to cutting out caffeine completely and using OPKs. The only thing I did differently.

So if you are any good at maths you will know that I am pretty far along now. 35 weeks to be exact. 5 to go until we meet Maruchan 2 - baby's tummy name.

This time we have had no major natural disasters during my pregnancy, so I am still in Japan though this time I am imposing Amelia, my dog Sebastian and myself on my husband's family until the baby is born and for a while after, too, all going well. 

There will be a blog post soon on "going home to give birth" which is kind of a tradition in Japan.
Sebastian: "So how much longer till this one starts dropping food on the floor?"

So at the moment I am in Tottori and DH is at home alone. It's going ok so far but we miss each other. Amelia has her grandparents and aunties to keep her busy and has started going to day care a few hours a week for something to do, which she really enjoys and added bonus I get 3 hours of quiet time 3 times a week for the first time in 3 years! For a few more weeks anyway.
So that's where we are! 




5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I don't have any kids of my own, but this is something I'm interested in learning about! How is it different than an American pregnancy and birth? Do they throw baby showers over there? Do you have as much pressure to go to a hospital and get a C-section as it seems we have over? Thank you for writing more! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, it's very interesting to see how other cultures approach pregnancy and birth, isn't it. I think the c-section is used only in emergency situations here, an elective one is very rare or doesn't exist. Same for epidurals, depends on the clinic but many don't or won't give you one unless you need a c-section.

      Delete
    2. Also baby showers are considered bad luck since the baby hasn't been born yet.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! I hope you don't completely stop blogging though! I've recently discovered that I am pregnant also, for the first time and with no idea what to expect let alone what to expect in Japan. So, anything you want to share will be very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophelia, thanks for your message. Congratulations to you, too. Considering what you have been through from what I have seen just having a quick look on your blog, I'm sure having a baby here will be a breeze. If you haven't decided on a clinic yet, then definitely get all the gossip about which one has/does what as they vary greatly depending on the doctor. I hope you have some friends with kids locally you can ask.

      Delete