Thursday, 19 December 2013

Christmas Partied Out

A photo from the Munich Christmas Market by DH. This is what I wish I was doing this year!
Well it's only the 18th of December, but I think we are all partied out! In the last 6 days we have had 5 Christmas parties to attend. Leading up to it, I was pretty excited about it all. Now I am so happy to have it all behind me. For Amelia, the Christmas Party seems to have become a kind of norm and she seems to be expecting to go to another one tomorrow... We are so worn out from it all that Amelia has a cold, and I actually fell asleep on the floor in the playroom this morning for a few minutes, when I was lying there because I was just so tired! But I have to say that 3 minutes or so did me a world of good!
Thankfully we don't have any more commitments until our own family Christmas celebration which we will be having on the 23rd of December this year as that is a national holiday (for the Emperor's birthday),  and the 24th and 25th are just regular work days here.

Newspaper swimming pool was a big hit at one of our many Christmas parties.
Every year I say I am never spending another Christmas in Japan, and then every year I do. Just like your own birthday, Christmas is as special as you make it. We will be using our celebration day to spend time together as a family and enjoy a nice dinner cooked by me....

Which brings me to the next problem. What to cook for Christmas dinner that is doable in Japan, ingredients and oven size/capability wise. My friends have suggested all kinds of things, but really all our oven can manage is a very small chicken, but then I would have to run it for 2 hours which would probably cause our oven to explode. Anyway, we will probably go with baked chicken legs or something small and easy to manage.

Last night I attempted the great Kiwi (New Zealand) Christmas dessert: Pavlova - a giant meringue that is a cake which is crunchy on the outside and fluffy like soft marshmallow on the inside.
I used my sister's recipe. It turned out quite well for a first attempt with not quite the right ingredients. I thought it would take hours to make, but it was just 10 minutes prep and then 30 minutes cooking and another 30 minutes to cool in the oven.
Sorry, another photography disaster but you get the idea.



5 comments:

  1. I'm a bit of a scrooge. Christmas wears me out! But I'm learning and this past Christmas was okay.

    I hope you and your family are well in this new year of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there...long time since you last blogged of life in Japan...I miss that as Japan has always been a wonder to me...hope you can return soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie, thanks for your message. We are good here in Japan. I've been taking a break from cyber life. It's doing me a lot of good, this low internet diet. :) I might come back to blogging again one day. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not Japanese but to know there's a culture out there that values housewives makes me happy. I'm a housewife here in America, and it seems there's a negative stigma about it (I'm guessing from the "Real housewives" shows). I think Japanese housewives are total bad-asses and I really want to learn more about them and how they run their home, so that I can take what I can to become a better housewife for my husband. I love your blog, and I have so many questions like, what makes a good housewife? Are there dishes you enjoy cooking? I see you haven't updated in a while so I'll just read your other posts, but thank you so much for starting this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoy my blog posts. I haven't updated for a while but you can find lots of things to read until I get round to it again! :) It is a kind of motivation for me to know I have a new reader our there, thanks!

    ReplyDelete