Increasingly as you get older, it's up to you to create the kind of birthday you want. When you have a small kid, I think it becomes even more so!
Since Amelia was born, my birthday wishes have gone from wanting tangible stuff like a new handbag or earrings to the kind of stuff that money can't buy and doesn't clutter up my house : sleep, solitude and a tidy house.
So this is what I am wish for my birthday this year:
1. First and foremost a sleep in, past 6:20am. For some reason this is when Amelia wakes up and so then I have to get up too.
2. No house work for a whole day. This is going to require a lot of restraint on my own part.
3. The solitude bit: Ideally, I would like to have a morning or afternoon to myself at home. ALONE. So maybe I will have to organise for DH and Amelia to go for an outing. This idea of being alone on your birthday would seem to many to be the opposite of what you would want. Surely you would want to be surrounded by friends and family? Maybe, AFTER I have had some time (first in weeks) to myself when I am actually awake and refreshed to do just what I want to do in peace.
4. Sushi. I'm not talking round and round on a conveyor belt stuff either. I'm talking high class stuff, delivered to my house so I don't have to go out.
5. A big old bottle of champagne that doesn't give me a hangover the next day...I think this is actually called "sparkling grape juice".
6. A cake with candles, and a rendition of happy birthday sung to me by Amelia - I will let her blow out the candles. Amelia's request for my birthday cake is that it have candles and strawberries and that Sebastian can have a tofu cake (which is just some egg tofu turned upside down).
I thought I was all set cake wise as baked one a week or so ago and put it in the freezer, but today we had a cake emergency so it got eaten and just as well too as it wasn't very good! Now have to organise a better one for the day. Amelia has been practicing her candle blowing out skills by playing imaginary birthday cake for the last two days. So by the time my actual birthday comes round, I will have had imaginary birthday cake about 50 times, I expect!
What would you do for your ideal birthday?