Saturday, 28 January 2012

Volunteering

My sister is staying with me at the moment and yesterday she went along with my friend to take part in some volunteer activities at a drop in centre for evacuees and other people affected by the March 11 disaster. After that she went with my friend to visit some people who live in the prefab housing built for the people who lost their homes either to the power station or the tsunami. 

Here is her blog post. Please read it if you have time. The one thing that the people my sister met yesterday said was, that they want people to remember Fukushima and hear their story. Also that people's lives are still not back to normal - still in limbo, waiting for the government to make decisions.  My sister's blog is actually about her experience living in the UAE, also an interesting read.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog link. I am always getting asked about the situation from people in America and I'm always ashamed that I really don't know. I will direct people to her site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your sister's blog, and all's I can say is WOW. And I thought Mexico was annoying...(as I listen to the open air, super loud all night karaoke bar next door to us.) UAE sounds just ridiculous!

    She did a great job reporting on the conditions in Japan, too. That was more informative than most news articles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having worked in the field of Domestic Violence most of my adult life I know how important and valuable volunteers are. They make life easier for the over-worked staff and bring their own form of competence to whatever they choose to volunteer aide to. It is always a welcome and always interesting to read about how and what goes on in the mind of those that spend their precious time helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed her post immensely. Enough to read it to DH, who was also moved. Having lived together in 100 sq ft in Japan, the size of shelters didn't shock us as much, but the stories made the incident fresh, moving, and something I would like to help more with.

    ReplyDelete